Medicine is the skill of physical healing and working with biological life, for good or ill.
o Overcome: Medicine allows you let people start on the road to recover from physical consequences. It allows you to identify the effects of drugs and poisons, and to create and use counter agents.
c Create an Advantage: Medicine can be used to spot people’s injuries or any syndromes they might be suffering from. Most often, you’ll use this to assess the aspects on another character’s sheet, but sometimes you’ll also be able to create new aspects, especially on NPCs. If the target has some reason to be aware that you’re trying to read them, they can defend with Deceive or Rapport. You can also use medicine to create poisons.
• Pathologist. If examining a body (dead or alive) would help, you can use medicine instead of investigate to find things out.
• Surgeon. You get +2 to overcome rolls when you’re dealing with a medical situation that requires cutting open the person to fix intAvarral injuries. This stunt is also required for placing implants.
• Steady hands. You can use medicine for any task whose primary condition of success is having a pair of steady hands, as long as something or someone is there to tell you what to do. For example, disarming a trap, picking a lock or unearthing a fragile artifact in an archaeological dig.
• Bio-engineering. You have the skills and knowledge to use Medicine to create and modify biological things. Medicine now works a bit like engineering when it comes to biological things. Since biological things are much more complex than most mechanical things, the difficulty compared to achieving similar things with engineering is much higher (usually around two levels).
• Creator of species. You get +2 to overcome rolls when you attempt to genetically engineer new animals or plants.
• Bio-warfare expert. You get +2 to overcome rolls when you attempt to create biological weapons, or antidotes to these. You can use medicine to attack provided you have already prepared an appropriate biological weapon, such as spores of brain eating fungi. These weapons are really powerful against unprotected biological creatures. Beware though, these weapons can sometimes get out of control.
• Species X Specialist. You are a specialist when it comes to modifying species X. You get +2 to overcome rolls when you attempt to modify a member of species X.
• Species X healer. Once per session you can reduce someone of species X’s physical consequence by one level of severity (severe to moderate, moderate to mild, mild to nothing at all) by succeeding on an Engineering roll with a difficulty of Fair (+2) for a mild consequence, Good (+3) for moderate, or Great (+4) for severe. You need to treat the injured individual for at least half an hour in order for them to receive the benefits of this stunt. (Normally, this roll would only start the recovery process, instead of changing the consequence level.)