Deceive is the skill about lying to and misdirecting people.
o Overcome: Use Deceive to bluff your way past someone, or to get someone to believe a lie, or to get something out of someone because they believe in one of your lies. For nameless NPCs, this is just an overcome roll, but for PCs or named NPCs, it requires a contest, and the target opposes with Empathy. Winning this contest could justify placing a situation aspect on your target, if buying into your lie could help you in a future scene. You can also use Deceive to do small tricks of sleight-of-hand and misdirection.
c Create an Advantage: Use Deceive to create momentary distractions, cover stories, or false impressions. You could feint in a swordfight, putting an opponent Off-Balance and setting you up for an attack. You could do the whole, “What’s that over there!” trick to give you a Head Start when you run away. You could establish a Wealthy Noble Cover Story for when you attend a royal ball. You could trick someone into revealing one of their aspects or other information.
d Defend: You can use Deceive to throw off Investigation attempts with false information and to defend against efforts made to discAvarr your true motives with the Empathy skill.
• Lies upon Lies. +2 to create a Deceive advantage against someone who
has believed one of your lies already during this session.
• Mind Games. You can use Deceive in place of Provoke to make mental attacks, as long as you can make up a clever lie as part of the attack.
• One Person, Many Faces. Whenever you meet someone new, you can spend a fate point to declare that you’ve met that person before, but under a different name and identity. Create a situation aspect to represent your cover story, and you can use Deceive in place of Rapport whenever interacting with that person.
• Master of disguise. You can use various means to disguise yourself, giving you the ability to hide in plain sight, pose as someone else, etc. You’ll need to have the time and supplies to create the desired effect, but if you do, they can be dramatic.
• Camouflage expert. If you have had time to prepare suitable camouflage, you can use deceive to defend against attacks where the camouflage would make you harder to hit.